Latest News (8)
Agenda for Community Meeting and City Commission Regular Meeting, 6:00pm and 7:00pm, Monday, January 24, 2022
The annual Community Meeting will be at 6:00 p.m., Monday, January 24, 2022, which will be followed by the regular St. Joseph City Commission meeting at 7:00 p.m. The agendas and packets are available at the following link:
Please note that both meetings will be viewable via Zoom; they will be a single meeting ID, it will not be necessary to log in to the meetings separately.
Request for Proposal (RFP) Valve Exercise and Conditional Assessment 2022
Proposals will be received until 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 22, 2022 by the City of St. Joseph, at the City Clerk's Office; 700 Broad Street, St. Joseph MI 49085.Read more ...
Request for Proposal (RFP) Website Redesign & Development 2022
Proposals will be received until 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 8, 2022 by the City of St. Joseph, at the City Clerk’s Office; 700 Broad Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085.Read more ...
Request for Proposal (RFP) Bluff Restroom Concrete Repairs
Proposals will be received until 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 1, 2022 by the City of St. Joseph, at the City Clerk’s Office; 700 Broad Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085.Read more ...
Request for Proposal (RFP) Design Services for Howard Family Trail Improvements 2022
Proposals will be received until 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 22, 2022 by the City of St. Joseph, at the City Clerk’s Office; 700 Broad Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085.Read more ...
Request for Proposal (RFP) Howard Family Trail Bridge 2022
Proposals will be received until 3:00 p.m. pm Tuesday, February 8, 2022 by the City of St. Joseph, at the City Clerk's Office; 700 Broad Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085.Read more ...
MDOT to Close Lakeshore Drive Beginning Monday, January 17th
Notification has been received from the Michigan Department of Transportation informing of plans to close Lakeshore Drive at the bridge over the CSX RR Tracks starting Monday, January 17, 2022. The complete closure is schedule to be in place until February 25, 2022.Read more ...
Request for Proposal (RFP) 2022 Milton Park Walking Path Renovation Project
Proposals will be received until 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 25, 2022 by the City of St. Joseph, at the City Clerk's Office; 700 Broad Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085.Read more ...
To read all the latest news, click here.
The City Engineer is responsible for the handling, planning, oversight, and reporting on all city-led engineering projects including:
- Handling water, sewer, and roadway related constructions permits in the public right-of-way.
- Managing the Asset Management Program for infrastructure within the City right-of-way which includes planning, prioritizing and seeking funding sources for future infrastructure projects.
- Oversight of Engineering Consulting Services.
- Construction Progress Meetings and Site Inspections of ongoing construction projects.
- Responding to Citizen Concerns including Periodic Updates on Construction Progress.
- Administration of the City's National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permits.
- Archives infrastructure project record drawings.
- Plan review and approval of infrastructure-related elements of new developments.
Assistant City Engineer:
Address: 700 Broad Street
Phone: (269) 983-5541
Fax: (269) 985-0346
For information on the St. Joseph River - Bicentennial Bridge USGS Stream Gage, please click on it.
2022 Willa Drive & Lester Avenue, and Donna Drive Reconstruction Projects
- Willa Drive: Botham Avenue to St. Joseph Drive
- Lester Avenue: Niles Avenue to Willa Drive
- St. Joseph Drive: Willa Drive to approximately 200 feet west of Willa Drive (most work in tree lawn area)
Donna Drive Reconstruction Project
- Donna Drive from Lakeview Avenue to South State Street
- South State Street: Donna Drive to approximately 200 feet south of Donna Drive (part-width improvements)
A neighborhood meeting was held on July 19th at 6 pm in City Commission Chambers to discuss several concepts under consideration for Lester Avenue, what to expect prior to thereconstruction project and to gather resident and property owner feedback. Links to the letter that was sent to the neighborhood, and the concepts discussed at the public meeting are provided below.
Remote Meeting Log-In Information
Join from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device:
Please click this URL to join. https://us06web.zoom.us/j/83849990279?pwd=Sk5pWkFiWlpDc3hJUlBaTUlxNFpXdz09
Or join by phone:
Dial: 312 626 6799, 888 788 0099 (Toll Free) or 877 853 5247 (Toll Free)
Webinar ID: 838 4999 0279
2022 Broad Street Resurfacing Project
Lead Service Line Replacement (LSLR) Projects
The City recently awarded two contracts from the FY 22 LSLR - Future Road Project. This includes lead service line replacements on Broad Street from Main Street to Pearl Street and Botham Avenue from South State Street to Niles Avenue. Work on this on Broad Street will start the first week in October and be completed by mid-November. Work on Botham Avenue is tentatively to start in the late fall of 2021.
The City Engineering Department recently issued advertisement for the FY 22 LSLR - High Lead Sample Results Project. This includes properties from throughout the City that have particpated in the voluntary testing program and have received higher results. This project will also include properties that may be impacted by the replacement of a nearby water service. A small portion of water main reconfiguration on Miller Drive is also included in this project.
Lead Water Service Information
Please follow this link for more details. Lead Service Replacement Program
Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) Program
Point of contact:
Tim Zebell, P.E.
The City recently completed Infiltration and Inflow Mitigation Monitoring Analysis work as part of the CSO National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) compliance program. City staff will recommend proceeding with the next step of the program at the December 13, 2021 Commission Meeting. The recently completed study can be found here, the power point presented to EGLE to revise the CSO NPDES compliance schedule is here and a power point covering the proposed I & I removal and sewer rehabilitation project can be found here.
Please see the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) Report for additional information here.
- 1st Infrastructure Open House - "How Your Infrastructure Works" 4/22/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- 2nd Infrastructure Open House - " Managing Your Infrastructure" 5/24/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- 3rd Infrastructure Open House - "Funding Your Infrastructure" 8/22/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- SAW Grant & Asset Management 8/22/2017 Meeting Handout
Public Meeting Maps
- St. Joseph Recent Projects Meeting No1.
- Lift Station Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- Lift Station Service Areas.
- PASER Rating Map Public Information Meeting No1.
- Sanitary Consequence of Failure Public Information Meeting No1.
- Sanitary Manhole Condition.
- Sanitary Televised Status.
- Sewer Sanitary Criticality Map.
- Sewer Sanitary Year Installed Map.
- Sewer Storm Criticality Map.
- Sewer Storm Year Installed Map.
- SS Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- ST Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- Water Criticality Map.
- Water Main Breaks.
- Water Year Installed Public Information Meeting No1.
A Permit is required for work within the Right-of-Way.
The Right-of-Way typically includes the street, tree lawn and sidewalk area in front of your property. Please refer to the Right-of-Way Permit application - at the link that follows - for additional details on the requirements.
Right-of-Way Application (PDF)(revised 4-18-2019)
Please submit applications and supporting materials to Alex Austin at the contact information noted above.
City of St. Joseph and Southwest Regional Sanitary Sewer and Water Authority Standard Specifications and Details for new water main construction
Water Main Permits
Please contact City Engineer Tim Zebell for information on the water main permit approval process.
Let us send you the news!
Have local news, alerts & events shipped right to your inbox or rss reader!
Parks & Recreation
Office Hours at City Hall
Monday – Friday:
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.