Latest News (6)
Advertisement for Bids - Dunham Lift Station Replacement Phase One
Sealed bids for the construction of the Dunham Lift Station Replacement Phase One Project will be received by the City of St. Joseph, at the City Clerk's office of the City of St. Joseph, 700 Broad Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085 until 3:00 p.m. local time on November 8, 2018.Read more ...
Boards and Commissions Current Openings
We have openings on the following Boards / Commissions. These voluntary positions are a great opportunity to get involved with your community.Read more ...
Per - and Polyfluoalkyl Substances (PFAS) in Drinking Water
Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), are a group of chemicals that have been classified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as an emerging contaminant on the national level.Read more ...
Job Opening for Public Safety Officer
The City of St. Joseph is accepting resumes for the position of Public Safety Officer.Read more ...
City Residents have been given an additional week to clear their property of brush.Read more ...
IMPORTANT: Press Release: Information about House Bill 4503/Senate Bill 329 and Short-Term Rentals
It is important for residents to educate themselves regarding House Bill 4503 and Senate Bill 329. Please click on information from the Michigan Municipal League and others through a Letter and Press Release explaining the effect these two bills will have on our community.Read more ...
To read all the latest news, click here.
The City Engineer is responsible for the handling, planning, oversight, and reporting on all city-led engineering projects including:
- Handling water, sewer, and roadway related constructions permits in the public right-of-way.
- Planning, prioritizing and seeking funding sources for future infrastructure projects.
- Oversight of Engineering Consulting Services.
- Construction Progress Meetings and Site Inspections of ongoing construction projects.
- Responding to Citizen Concerns including Periodic Updates on Construction Progress.
- Administration of the City's National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permits.
- Archives infrastructure project record drawings.
- Plan review and approval of infrastructure-related elements of new developments.
Assistant City Engineer:
Address: 700 Broad Street
Phone: (269) 983-5541
Fax: (269) 985-0346
2018 Preventive Maintenance Project
UPDATE – 9/11/2018
2018 Preventive Maintenance Project: Bituminous Seal
Due to weather delays and other scheduling constraints, the majority of the 2018 Preventive Maintenance
Project: Bituminous Seal will occur in the spring of 2019.
Gee Asphalt Systems, Inc. has informed the City the work this fall will likely be limited to Sunday,
September 16th, 2018. The roads to be treated will remain the same as the original work scheduled for
Sunday, this includes segments of Stadium Drive, South State Street, Kingsley Avenue, and Midway
Avenue (please see the attached map). Map
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Assistant City Engineer, Alex Austin (email:
telephone 269-983-5541) if Assistant City Engineer Austin is not available.
Thank you again for your cooperation.
The 2018 Pavement Preventive Maintenance Project is scheduled to start on September 13, 2018. The project consists of applying a penetrating asphalt sealer to the better asphalt roads in the City. The project will include local road closures for durations of 4 to 6 hours to allow for application of the sealer and curing time. If your driveway is located on a street designated for treatment, park on a nearby street the night prior to the treatment. Please park on a nearby street that is NOT being treated the same day as the street you access your driveway from (please see the map in the link that follows). Overnight on-street parking restrictions will be waived during the project. Map and Full Public Notice
Please direct questions regarding the project to Assistant City Engineer Alex Austin. If the Assistant City Engineer Austin please contact City Engineer Tim Zebell.
Ship Street Resurfacing Project
The as read bid submitted by Rieth-Riley Consturction Company, Inc. on September 5, for the Ship Street Resurfacing Project was $327,598.74. The bid was rejected because it was significantly over the Engineer's estimate and the funding allotted by Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) to reimburse the City of St. Joseph for the work.
Wallace Avenue Reconstruction Project
Wallace Ave Reconstruction - Trash/Recycle Pick-Up Reminder June 20, 2018
This is a reminder to put your trash, yard waste and recycle containers out this evening. Kalin Construction will need to move some of the barrels for pickups so please put a label with your address on all of your containers.
Trash Pickup Reminder June 13, 2018
Since this is the fist time trash will be picked up for the Wallace Avenue Project area, I am sending out this reminder to put your trash containers out at the usual curb-side location tonight. We also ask that you write your address on a piece of duct tape or similar and place it on your barrel in case your barrel needs to be moved and then brought back after pickup.
We expect Best-Way to arrive around 6 AM so that pickup is complete prior to Kalin Construction starting work at 7 AM. If you experience any issues with your pickup, please contact Streets and & Rubbish Superintendent Don Evans at 269-983-5541.
2018 Wallace Avenue Reconstruction Project Update June 7, 2018
2018 Sidewalk & Spot Concrete Replacement Project
On August 1, 2018, the City received and opened one bid for the 2018 Sidewalk & Spot Concrete Replacement Project. This was the third time that the City advertised and bid the project, the first two times we did not receive any bids because Contractors are very busy this year. The prices are higher than in year's past as outlined in the Power Point Presentation that can be found at this link. The City Commission awarded the project to Northern Construction Services Corporation at the regularly scheduled meeting on August 13, 2018.
Work on the project could start as early as September 20, 2018. In order to make the project more attractive to bidders, the City lengthened the allowable construction window. Fall construction may occur between August 20, 2018 and October 26, 2018 and spring construction between March19, 2019 and June 28, 2019.
2018 Dunham Lift Station Replacement Project
Design of the Dunham Lift Station Replacement Project is currently underway. We anticipate scheduling another resident meeting in the future to provide an overview of the updated plans. A notice will be mailed to the residents and property owners in the project area when a meeting date is established.
- 1st Infrastructure Open House - "How Your Infrastructure Works" 4/22/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- 2nd Infrastructure Open House - " Managing Your Infrastructure" 5/24/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- 3rd Infrastructure Open House - "Funding Your Infrastructure" 8/22/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- SAW Grant & Asset Management 8/22/2017 Meeting Handout
Public Meeting Maps
- St. Joseph Recent Projects Meeting No1.
- Lift Station Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- Lift Station Service Areas.
- PASER Rating Map Public Information Meeting No1.
- Sanitary Consequence of Failure Public Information Meeting No1.
- Sanitary Manhole Condition.
- Sanitary Televised Status.
- Sewer Sanitary Criticality Map.
- Sewer Sanitary Year Installed Map.
- Sewer Storm Criticality Map.
- Sewer Storm Year Installed Map.
- SS Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- ST Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- Water Criticality Map.
- Water Main Breaks.
- Water Year Installed Public Information Meeting No1.
A Permit is required for work within the Right-of-Way.
The Right-of-Way typically includes the street, tree lawn and sidewalk area in front of your property. Please refer to the Right-of-Way Permit application - at the link that follows - for additional details on the requirements.
Right of way Application (PDF)(revised 1-23-2018)
Please submit applications and supporting materials to Alex Austin at the contact information noted above.
City of St. Joseph and Southwest Regional Sanitary Sewer and Water Authority Standard Specifications and Details for new water main construction
Water Main Permits
- Standard Procedures for the Approval of Water Main Construction
- Appendix A - Contacts
- Application for Water Main Plan Review Escrow Account
- Right of Entry for Utility Construction and Maintenance
- Water Main - Plan Review Checklist
- Water Mian - Place in Service Request
- Water Main - Constrution Checklist
- Water Quality Complaint Form
- Water Main - Acceptace Review Checklist
- Bacteriological Testing Form