Latest News (8)
Job Opening: Ice Arena Operations Assistant
Request for Proposals (RFP) Bluff Restroom Painting Project
Proposals will be received until 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 28, 2021 by the City of St. Joseph City Clerk's Office, 700 Broad St. St. Joseph, Michigan 49085.Read more ...
Request for Proposal (RFP) Tiscornia & Water Tower Parks Master Plans - 2021
The City of St. Joseph is accepting proposals for the Tiscornia and Water Tower Parks Master Plans project.Read more ...
Job Opening: Ice Arena Operations — Seasonal Employment
The City of St. Joseph is now accepting applications for seasonal employment at the John & Dede Howard Ice Arena for the upcoming Fall/Winter season.Read more ...
City of St. Joseph General Contact Information, May, 2021
To view the City of St. Joseph General Contact Information, please click here.
Job Opening: Seasonal Laborer
The City of St. Joseph is currently accepting applications for the position of Seasonal Laborer in the Public Works Department.Read more ...
New website lets tourists visit St. Joseph from the comfort of their couches
ST. JOSEPH, Mich. (July 29, 2020) – The City of St. Joseph, in concert with The Southwest Michigan Regional Chamber and St. Joseph Today, recently announced the launch of a site that allows visitors to virtually stroll through downtown St. Joseph, facilitate shopping and check out what’s new along the bluff.Read more ...
For the most up to date information regarding the coronavirus, residents are encouraged to visit the Berrien County Health Department website at: http://berriencounty.org/1643/Coronavirus-Disease-COVID-19Read more ...
To read all the latest news, click here.
The City Engineer is responsible for the handling, planning, oversight, and reporting on all city-led engineering projects including:
- Handling water, sewer, and roadway related constructions permits in the public right-of-way.
- Planning, prioritizing and seeking funding sources for future infrastructure projects.
- Oversight of Engineering Consulting Services.
- Construction Progress Meetings and Site Inspections of ongoing construction projects.
- Responding to Citizen Concerns including Periodic Updates on Construction Progress.
- Administration of the City's National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permits.
- Archives infrastructure project record drawings.
- Plan review and approval of infrastructure-related elements of new developments.
Assistant City Engineer:
Address: 700 Broad Street
Phone: (269) 983-5541
Fax: (269) 985-0346
For information on the St. Joseph River - Bicentennial Bridge USGS Stream Gage, please click on it.
2022 Willa Drive & Lester Avenue, and Donna Drive Reconstruction Projects
- Willa Drive: Botham Avenue to St. Joseph Drive
- Lester Avenue: Niles Avenue to Willa Drive
- St. Joseph Drive: Willa Drive to approximately 200 feet west of Willa Drive (most work in tree lawn area)
Donna Drive Reconstruction Project
- Donna Drive from Lakeview Avenue to South State Street
- South State Street: Donna Drive to approximately 200 feet south of Donna Drive (part-width improvements)
A neighborhood meeting was held on July 19th at 6 pm in City Commission Chambers to discuss several concepts under consideration for Lester Avenue, what to expect prior to thereconstruction project and to gather resident and property owner feedback. Links to the letter that was sent to the neighborhood, and the concepts discussed at the public meeting are provided below.
2022 Broad Street Resurfacing Project
Kingsley, Morton, Orchard and Langley Projects
2021 LANGLEY RECONSTRUCTION PROJECT
September 24, 2021 Project Update
This is an update on the Langley Avenue Reconstruction Project for the week of September 20th.
This past week, Kalin Construction completed roadway base building and related underdrain installation in preparation for concrete work next week. Top soil was also placed in the phase 2 area where concrete work was recently finished. No work is planned this Saturday, September 25th.
During our progress meeting today, Kalin also stated that asphalt base and leveling courses are scheduled the week October 4th. The final, wearing course of asphalt, is scheduled the week of October 11th. It is important to note that the weather, and sub-contractor schedules will play a very large role in the progress going forward.
Restoration of Phase I & IIA Areas – Newberry Hills Lane to Hillcrest Avenue
Weed killer was applied to the area described above today, Friday, September 24th. This was delayed from the original schedule due to the rain this past week. Where anchor blanket is still in place, please leave it there as long as possible because it helps to retain the moisture, keeping the grass seed moist. You may water as needed, the odd/even sprinkling ordinance does not apply to properties with lawns that have been restored as part of the project.
Hydroseeding/overseeding is planned the week of October 11th. Closer to the day of the hydroseeding, we will ask that you prepare your lawn by mowing it on a low setting to allow the seed to reach the soil. Raking of the soil, to make it friable, will also aid in the lawn restoration effort.
Lead Service Line Replacement (LSLR) Projects
The City recently awarded two contracts from the FY 22 LSLR - Future Road Project. This includes lead service line replacements on Broad Street from Main Street to Pearl Street and Botham Avenue from South State Street to Niles Avenue. Work on this on Broad Street will start the first week in October and be completed by mid-November. Work on Botham Avenue is tentatively to start in the late fall of 2021.
The City Engineering Department recently issued advertisement for the FY 22 LSLR - High Lead Sample Results Project. This includes properties from throughout the City that have particpated in the voluntary testing program and have received higher results. This project will also include properties that may be impacted by the replacement of a nearby water service. A small portion of water main reconfiguration on Miller Drive is also included in this project.
Lead Water Service Information
Please follow this link for more details. Lead Service Replacement Program
Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) Program
Point of contact:
Tim Zebell, P.E.
Please see the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) Report for additional information at : https://www.michigan.gov/documents/egle/wrd-cso-sso-rtb-2019-annual-report_695004_7.pdf
- 1st Infrastructure Open House - "How Your Infrastructure Works" 4/22/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- 2nd Infrastructure Open House - " Managing Your Infrastructure" 5/24/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- 3rd Infrastructure Open House - "Funding Your Infrastructure" 8/22/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- SAW Grant & Asset Management 8/22/2017 Meeting Handout
Public Meeting Maps
- St. Joseph Recent Projects Meeting No1.
- Lift Station Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- Lift Station Service Areas.
- PASER Rating Map Public Information Meeting No1.
- Sanitary Consequence of Failure Public Information Meeting No1.
- Sanitary Manhole Condition.
- Sanitary Televised Status.
- Sewer Sanitary Criticality Map.
- Sewer Sanitary Year Installed Map.
- Sewer Storm Criticality Map.
- Sewer Storm Year Installed Map.
- SS Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- ST Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- Water Criticality Map.
- Water Main Breaks.
- Water Year Installed Public Information Meeting No1.
A Permit is required for work within the Right-of-Way.
The Right-of-Way typically includes the street, tree lawn and sidewalk area in front of your property. Please refer to the Right-of-Way Permit application - at the link that follows - for additional details on the requirements.
Right-of-Way Application (PDF)(revised 4-18-2019)
Please submit applications and supporting materials to Alex Austin at the contact information noted above.
City of St. Joseph and Southwest Regional Sanitary Sewer and Water Authority Standard Specifications and Details for new water main construction
Water Main Permits
Please contact City Engineer Tim Zebell for information on the water main permit approval process.
Let us send you the news!
Have local news, alerts & events shipped right to your inbox or rss reader!
Parks & Recreation
Office Hours at City Hall
Monday – Friday:
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.