Latest News (7)
Board of Review Meeting
The Board of Review will be meeting at 3:00 p.m. in the Conference Room on the first floor of City Hall, 700 Broad Street, St. Joseph on December 10, 2019.Read more ...
Advertisement for Bids - Kingsley Ave., Morton Ave., and Orchard Ave. Reconstruction Project
Please be advised that the City of St. Joseph is requesting sealed bids by Wednesday, January 15 @ 3:00 p.m. for the Kingsley Ave., Morton Ave., and Orchard Ave. Reconstruction Project.Read more ...
Job Opening: Water & Sewer Serviceperson
The City of St. Joseph is accepting applications/resumes for the position of Water & Sewer Serviceperson.Read more ...
Howard Ice Arena Open Skate Winter Break Schedule
We invite you to ice skate at the Howard Ice Arena over the holiday season. Please click on Open Skate Schedule to view the Open Skate dates and times.
Howard Ice Arena Open Skate Schedule
Please click on Open Skate Schedule to view the Open Skate hours. The ice arena will tentatively open on November 18th.
October 2019 Newsletter
October 2019 Newsletter Volume 25, Issue 4 has been published.
Community Fun Guide Fall 2019
To view the fall recreational newsletter, click here.
To read all the latest news, click here.
The City Engineer is responsible for the handling, planning, oversight, and reporting on all city-led engineering projects including:
- Handling water, sewer, and roadway related constructions permits in the public right-of-way.
- Planning, prioritizing and seeking funding sources for future infrastructure projects.
- Oversight of Engineering Consulting Services.
- Construction Progress Meetings and Site Inspections of ongoing construction projects.
- Responding to Citizen Concerns including Periodic Updates on Construction Progress.
- Administration of the City's National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permits.
- Archives infrastructure project record drawings.
- Plan review and approval of infrastructure-related elements of new developments.
Assistant City Engineer:
Address: 700 Broad Street
Phone: (269) 983-5541
Fax: (269) 985-0346
To view the Public Notice, please click on it.
Kingsley, Morton, Orchard and Langley Projects
In 2020, the City plans to reconstruct Kingsley Avenue from Niles Avenue to Morton Avenue, Morton Avenue from Kingsley Avenue to Orchard Avenue and Orchard Avenue from Morton Avenue to Langley Avenue. Reconstruction of Langley Avenue is scheduled to start in 2021 and encompasses Langley Avenue from Pearl Street to Napier Avenue.
In early November 2018, the City held an Open House to gather public input on several concepts for the upcoming reconstruction projects. All of the concept plans included non-motorized facilities in order to comply with the City’s Master Plan and the Complete Streets Policy Adopted by the Twin Cities Transportation Study (TwinCATs). Space within the public right-of-way is limited, so the addition of non-motorized facility generally results a reduction or loss of on-street parking. Extensive tree removals will also be required for both projects for multiple reasons including tree size (too big for the available space), age, conflicts with sewer services. The tree removals must be completed in advance of the construction in order to comply with environmental regulations. The concept plans remained available for viewing and public input until early August 12th. At the regularly scheduled City Commission Meeting on August 12th, the City Commission approved the non-motorized concept based upon the public input and the recommendation of City staff and Abonmarche. In the case of Kingsley, Morton and Orchard, the plans include angled on-street parking and some parallel parking. The Langley concept approved provided no on-street parking but will be modified to add a few parallel spaces as strategic locations for the purpose of deliveries, lawn services and the like. Links to the letter sent to the project area prior to the meeting, a copy of the power point discussed during the meeting, and the approved concepts follow.
December 2nd Kingsley, Morton & Orchard Reconstruction Project Update
A public meeting will be held on December 11, 2019 at 6 PM in City Commission Chambers to provide an update on the 2020 Kingsley, Morton & Orchard Reconstruction Project to the neighborhood and obtain temporary right-of-entries where needed for lead water service line replacements and driveway work. The mailing sent to the project area provides additional details and can be view by following the link below.
Lead Water Service Information
Please follow this link for more details. Lead Service Replacement Program
- 1st Infrastructure Open House - "How Your Infrastructure Works" 4/22/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- 2nd Infrastructure Open House - " Managing Your Infrastructure" 5/24/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- 3rd Infrastructure Open House - "Funding Your Infrastructure" 8/22/2017 Power Point Presentation link
- SAW Grant & Asset Management 8/22/2017 Meeting Handout
Public Meeting Maps
- St. Joseph Recent Projects Meeting No1.
- Lift Station Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- Lift Station Service Areas.
- PASER Rating Map Public Information Meeting No1.
- Sanitary Consequence of Failure Public Information Meeting No1.
- Sanitary Manhole Condition.
- Sanitary Televised Status.
- Sewer Sanitary Criticality Map.
- Sewer Sanitary Year Installed Map.
- Sewer Storm Criticality Map.
- Sewer Storm Year Installed Map.
- SS Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- ST Condition Public Information Meeting No1.
- Water Criticality Map.
- Water Main Breaks.
- Water Year Installed Public Information Meeting No1.
A Permit is required for work within the Right-of-Way.
The Right-of-Way typically includes the street, tree lawn and sidewalk area in front of your property. Please refer to the Right-of-Way Permit application - at the link that follows - for additional details on the requirements.
Right-of-Way Application (PDF)(revised 1-23-2018)
Please submit applications and supporting materials to Alex Austin at the contact information noted above.
City of St. Joseph and Southwest Regional Sanitary Sewer and Water Authority Standard Specifications and Details for new water main construction
Water Main Permits
- Standard Procedures for the Approval of Water Main Construction
- Appendix A - Contacts
- Application for Water Main Plan Review Escrow Account
- Right of Entry for Utility Construction and Maintenance
- Water Main - Plan Review Checklist
- Water Mian - Place in Service Request
- Water Main - Constrution Checklist
- Water Quality Complaint Form
- Water Main - Acceptace Review Checklist
- Bacteriological Testing Form
Wind: 5.59 m/h
07 Dec 2019
08 Dec 2019
Let us send you the news!
Have local news, alerts & events shipped right to your inbox or rss reader!
Parks & Recreation
Office Hours at City Hall
Monday – Friday:
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.