Latest News (0)
Latest News (8)
Agenda for City Commission meeting, 6:00pm Monday, September 26, 2022
To view the agenda items before the St. Joseph City Commission at its meeting of Monday, September 26, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. go to the following link:
Request for Proposal (RFP) Howard Family Trail Bridge Repair 2022
Proposals will be received until 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday October 18, 2022 by the City of St. Joseph, at the City Clerk’s Office; 700 Broad Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085. Proposals will be opened on October 18, 2022 at 3:15pm in the City Commission Chambers.Read more ...
Request for Proposal (RFP) Window Replacement Woodbine Lodge #3
Sealed bids are due a the St. Joseph City Clerk's Office no later than 3:00 pm, October 11, 2022.Read more ...
Invitation for Bids (IFB) Plumbing Replacement and Renovation Project - Rebid
The St. Joseph Housing Commission (SJHC) invites sealed bids from contractors for the Lake View Terrace Highrise Emergency Plumbing Replacement and Renovation project.
Bids will be received until 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 6, 2022, by SJHC Offices: at 601 Port Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085.Read more ...
Request for Proposal (RFP) Kiwanis Park Restroom Renovation
Proposals will be received until 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday October 11, 2022 by the City of St. Joseph, at the City Clerk’s Office; 700 Broad Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085.Read more ...
Dog Day at the Fountain, October 1st
More information available at: https://stjosephmi.myrec.com/info/news/details.aspx?NewsID=4537
Job Opening: Water Filtration Plant Maintenance Foreman
The City of St. Joseph currently seeking a Water Filtration Plant Maintenance Foreman.Read more ...
Job Opening: Ice Arena Operations Assistant
To read all the latest news, click here.
Building Inspection Department
The Inspection Department processes all permits and performs all inspections for Building, Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing activities within the City. The Department processes all Rental registrations & inspections and carries out Property Maintenance code enforcement.
When submitting an Application please make sure it is administratively complete. This includes a thorough Site plan for most building permits and fence & shed permits, payment in full and a signed application and contact information. In addition to mailed or in-person submission of applications the City has a secure 24/7 drop box located at the Broad Street entrance. If paying by credit card you may submit applications by email. Payment options include cash, check and Credit Card. Administratively complete applications are typically issued within a week, however, this turn-around time depends on the complexity of the project and the completeness of the application. Work cannot begin until a permit has been issued and received by the applicant.
If your plan is impacted by City Zoning, Sign Ordinances or the Land Division Ordinance, please use this link https://sjcity.com/government/departments/zoning to view all relevant information such as the Zoning Ordinance & Map.
Address: 700 Broad Street
Phone: (269) 983-1212
Fax: (269) 985-0347
(use this email for general information and scanning of permit applications for the online credit card payment option)
Citation Implementation Notification from LARA - Attention all individuals licensed/registered as residential builders, maintenance & alteration contractors, electricians, plumbers, mechanical contractors, and boiler tradesmen please read this important notice from LARA.
- 2015 Michigan Residential Code
- Effective Oct. 4, 2021 or 45 days after the updated 2015 MRC is published and becomes available to the public
- 2015 Michigan Building Code
- 2017 Michigan Electrical Code Part 8 (NFPA 70 2017)
- 2015 Michigan Mechanical Code
- 2018 Michigan Plumbing Code
- Effective December 6, 2021 (45 days after the 2018 Michigan Plumbing Code was published and became available to the public)
- State of Michigan Bureau of Construction Codes
- International Code Council (ICC) links to Michigan code books for sale
- Free viewable Michigan Building Codes from ICC
Building Permits must be obtained from the Inspection Department before beginning any construction, remodeling, mechanical, electrical, or plumbing work. Purely cosmetic (non-structural) changes such as painting or flooring, may not require a permit.
Please be sure to include ALL necessary documentation when submitting plans for review. For Building Permits, please be sure to include a full size set of blueprints and a digital copy. Site plans are required for most building permits.
To obtain an aerial "birds-eye" view of any parcel in Berrien County use Berrien Co. Beacon Maps. This county GIS data base provides basic information on any city parcel. Once linked in to Beacon Maps the user will need to go to the upper left corner and hit the "Search" button, then enter the address under "Address Search", then select the "Map" option (upper left). If the user wishes to see lot dimensions, etc., use the "Layer List" dropdown menu on the left side.
Please be aware there is some 'drift' in property lines as the photographic imagery is taken from aerial fly overs. While this tool is helpful, the most accurate way to determine property line boundaries and dimensions, for a Site Plan for example, is to obtain a Survey from a licensed Michigan surveyor.
If you have any questions about these topics, please contact the City and staff will be happy to help you.
Applications, Forms and Processes - (Fillable Forms)
- How to Pay Permits by CREDIT CARD
- Building Permit Application with Fee Schedule
- Homeowner Building Permit Policy
- When do you need a building permit?
- Site Plans -- A simple Explanation
- Sample Site Plan
A Site Plan must be submitted for Building, Fence & Shed permits which shows both existing and proposed conditions of the site. The Sample Site Plan explains the information typically requested and how to depict it on the drawing.
- Required Submittals for NEW Residential Construction Building Permit Applications
- Zoning Table for Article V of the Ordinance
- Residential Sheds – A 3-step process to obtaining a shed permit
- Sign Permit Application
- Electrical Permit
- Mechanical Permit
- Plumbing Permit
- Downtown Dumpster Permit Form
- Temporary Dumpster or Portable-On-Demand (POD) Storage Permit
- Pre-Demolition Utility Disconnect Form
- Construction Board of Appeals Application
- 2022 Construction Board of Appeals (CBOA) Meeting Schedule
- City Block Map
- Zoning Map — Effective Date August 5, 2021
- Informational Guide Fence Regulations and Permits -- Feb 2021
- Chapter 12 Fences from the Code of Ordinances
- Fence Application, Process and Instructions
- Example Site Plan
Rental Program and Permits
Administration, scheduling, and inspection of all rental properties is processed through the Inspection Department:
- How to pay Rental Fees by Credit Card
- Residential Rental Informational Handout - January 2021
- Rental Inspection Ordinance
- Rental Registration for Minimum One Month Stay Rental Form
- Rental Registration for Short Term Rental Form
- Conditional Use Permit - Short Term Rental
- Rental Inspection Form Under COVID-19
- Carbon Monoxide Detector requirements for Rental Certification
Property Maintenance Program
The Property Maintenance Program is designed to be implemeted over a rotating 6-year period, with different neighborhoods of the City being inspected each year. Within each Focus Area the Code Enforcement Officer inspects every property and identifies those which have deficiencies, as defined by the International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC, 2015 Edition).
Individual inspections may also be made outside the Focus Area rotation when needed.
The City Commission adopted the IPMC under Section 8-96 of the Code of Ordinances. It is the stated intent of the IPMC to “ensure the public health, safety and welfare insofar as they are affected by the continued occupancy and maintenance of structures and premises. Structures and premises that do not comply with these provisions are required to be altered or repaired to provide a minimum level of health and safety.”
To view the International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC) please click this link https://codes.iccsafe.org/public/document/IPMC2015
Property Maintenance Board of Appeals (PMBOA)
Applications, Forms and Processes - (Fillable Forms)
Let us send you the news!
Have local news, alerts & events shipped right to your inbox or rss reader!
Parks & Recreation
Office Hours at City Hall
Monday – Friday:
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Population - 8,365
- City Employees - 81
- City Budget - $22.8 million
- City S.E.V. - $531,397,117 Avg.
- Residential True Cash Value - $199,000
- Square Miles - 4.4
- City Charter - Approved 1928
- Commercial S.E.V. - 96 million
- Industrial S.E.V. - 35 million
- Residential S.E.V. - 395 million
- Tax Millage - 16.5344